Friday, October 30, 2015

Jim Brady, St. Augustine Prep Linebacker

In the huddle with St. Augustine Prep senior LB Jim Brady

MICHAEL McGARRY, Staff Writer
Jim Brady knows he got in at the start of something big.

The St. Augustine Prep linebacker and the rest of his senior teammates are the first class to play all four of their seasons for coach Mark Reardon and assistant Charlie Roman.
Not coincidentally, Brady and his teammates are the first class not to have a losing season during their careers.
"We're headed in the right direction," Brady said. "I want to say we're a part of something that's going to be special in the next couple of years. I want to say we started this. It feels great."
The Hermits (7-0) are ranked No. 1 in The Press Elite 11 and will play at Vineland (3-3) at 6 p.m. Friday.

The 6-foot, 225-pound Brady, 17, lives in Mullica Township.


He's established himself as one of South Jersey's top players with 89 tackles, 16 of them for losses, and six sacks this year. Brady is considering attending several Football Championship Subdivision schools.
Brady also wrestles for the Hermits, but football is his passion.
"It's school, football and I like to mix in some hunting once in a while," he said.
In a telephone interview Tuesday night, Brady discussed a number of topics, including what it's like to play for Reardon and Roman.
On how he started playing football: I started out playing when I was 5 years old. I started out playing quarterback, and I just grew to love the sport. I played quarterback for about four years until I was about 10. I started running the football then and became a fullback. I've been a linebacker my whole life.
On becoming a full-time defensive player: I love hitting people. That's probably my favorite thing to do, and on defense I get to hit somebody every single play. I started out my freshman year at St. Augustine playing a little bit of fullback. The coaches decided to move me to linebacker, where I've been playing ever since.
 On the daily atmosphere at St. Augustine: It's a bunch of guys hanging out. You don't have to worry about any distractions. We hang out together every weekend. The Prep is like a family.
On playing for Roman and Reardon: They demand a lot from us during the season and the offseason. It's a pleasure playing for them. They are two of the best coaches I'll probably ever have in my life. I look forward to coming to practice every day. They can be strict, but most of the time they're fun guys. They joke with us as much as possible. It's a fun atmosphere.
On the possibility of playing a North Jersey parochial power in the state Non-Public IV playoffs: I think we're right with them this year, and that's my honest opinion. This team will make a run at the title. People can doubt all they want. But as a team, we know what we're capable of. Last year, we gave Don Bosco a very good fight. We had a turnover that didn't go our way, and that's why that score (42-21 loss) was what it was. This year, I think we're a more sound football team.
Contact: 609-272-7185

No comments: