Thursday, February 27, 2014

Kelly Mascio's Incident Report


                                                  INCIDENT STATEMENT
                                                                     OF
                    MULLICA KINDERGARTEN TEACHER, KELLY MASCIO

September 30, 2013

Approx. 1:20 pm I returned from MAPS testing with about 8 children to my room. We put on an educational video to wait for the rest of the class.  My science lesson was introducing a new topic and needed to be delivered whole group.

1:20 - 1:25 several children used the bathroom, including ####. A small group of 5 or 6 returned

1:27 I noticed the noodle was off the bathroom door and the lights went off and on. I knew someone was in the bathroom. I never thought that two children would break the rules and go in together.  I asked the class who was in the bathroom?  They said #### and %%%%.

I immediately walked to the bathroom calling them out at the same time.  They opened the door and came out before I got to the bathroom.  ####'s shirt was backwards.  No other clothing / shoes were out of place.  I walked them to my desk.  I asked why two people were in the bathroom at the same time.  #### said he had to go first.  I replied that he had just come out of the bathroom a few minutes earlier.  I asked why%%%% went in the bathroom if someone was already in there.  %%%% said she had to go too.  #### said that %%%%walked in on him.  I asked why #### did not come out when %%%% walked in.  No one called out or made any noise that I heard while in the bathroom.  I reviewed the rules of the bathroom being  1. one person at a time.  2. You ask me before going into the bathroom.  3.  If someone is in there you wait at your spot and then go in when they are finished.  4. All children are to go flush, wash their hands, turn off the light and leave the door open.
I asked why his shirt was on backwards.  He quickly (2 sec) pulled his arms inside the shirt and turned it around.  Note: the buttons on his polo shirt were still buttoned.  He said %%%% did it. I asked what was going on in the bathroom?  #### looked at %%%% and said, "Do you want to tell her or should I?  I said, you better tell me now.   #### said, "Hers wanted to have sex with me".
I looked at %%%% and said "What?"  She replied " He wanted to have some with me."  I sent them to their seats and called the school psychologist ****( 1:30 - 1:35)

I proceeded on with my lesson, all the children had returned by this point.  @@@@ came and picked up the students around 1:55.  The incident was then taken to Matt Mazzoni.  I was called to his office at 2:25, while I was supervising my class on the playground.  The other teachers watched them for me while I went and told Matt Mazzoni what happened.  I returned with the students.  Matt called for the students around 2:40.  I stopped teaching and found an adult to walk them over to the office.  Matt Mazzoni asked that I fill out an incident report.  I did so quickly while my class was having a snack.  My aide was pulled to substitute so I was also packing up my students for the end of the day. I was filling out the incident report when Matt came and asked if I had the report and their book bags at 2:55 pm.
I could not fill out a very detailed report because I was still teaching and supervising my children.
3:20 I was called to meet with the superintendent and told to bring representation.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We know from the MTEA's statement that when Mrs Mascio went into the superintendent's office, she was suspended on the spot with no discussion or inquiry by the superintendent.
Brenda Harring-Marro filed tenure charges on January 30, 2014 against Mrs Mascio and the Mullica Board of Education certified the tenure charges on 2/18/14 with an 8 to 1 vote.  Mrs. Mascio's spotless 15 year teaching career is now on the line.

We also found out through the MTEA statement that Brenda Harring -Marro, superintendent of Mullica schools, finally acknowledged this morning that inaccurate and inflammatory statements -used repeatedly for months- were inaccurate and were never corrected by the administration. 
The children were not "naked" or "having sex".  In the official police report, the references to a student being naked were based upon a verbal statement given by the principal who did not witness the event.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So far I've read that:
1. Kindergarten was a new class for the teacher.

2. The same two children involved had a similar incident in pre-K which this teacher was not made aware of by the administration and there were no repercussions to the pre-K teacher last year.

3. The teacher's aid was pulled from her class which is a direct violation of the state education code which requires an aid must be present in each kindergarten class.

4. The principal gave a very misleading, inaccurate, inflammatory police report.

5.The principal pressured the teacher to write an incident report in 15 minutes while she was alone supervising and packing up her students for the end of the day.

6. The superintendent suspended the teacher without asking a single question.

7. The Administration made no effort to correct the inflammatory report for over 5 months and did not admit the inaccuracies until after the board certified the tenure charges.

8. The teacher was keeping track of the children's bathroom visits because she knew #### had come out of the rest room a few minutes before the incident.
She turns her back for a minute to adjust the children that came back from testing and immediately notices the bathroom door was closed. She handled every thing according to school protocols after that.
This teacher is not guilty of anything.
The Administration on the other hand has handled everything extremely poorly and possibly broken state laws. They should be the ones that are investigated and fired.

Anonymous said...

Looks to me like there will be several lawsuits against township/school board /admin etc by the teachers lawyer who will win based on the stuff coming out. Taxpayers are going to take a big hit here cause we'll be paying the bill.
Years ago there was a thing called Mullica Pride but now we're looking like a bunch of idiots to the media.What has happened to our town?

Anonymous said...

I know what happened to our school and that's Brenda Harring Marro

Anonymous said...

To 7:47 PM

There is still a thing called Mullica Pride. As I walked to the school yesterday and saw all the cars and all the people,tears came to my eyes. I was so proud of all the residents who took the time to show support for Kelly Mascio. Believe me, only the people sitting silently in a row at the front of the room looked really bad to the outside.
If there is a lawsuit, maybe people will pay more attention to Board of Education elections or maybe even decide to run for a seat. We need to clean house there.