Thursday, May 15, 2014

Voice Of The People -Betty Schiaffino

Youth coaches bring
bullying to baseball
We talk of bullying in the schools by children, but recently, at a youth baseball game between two Mullica Township teams, I witnessed grown men bullying and attacking a 10-year-old boy.
It just so happens the boy was my grandson, who was pitching.
I have played sports my whole life from high school and college basketball to equestrian competitions. My husband was a semi-pro baseball player. So I know a little about sports.
What I witnessed showed all that is wrong about organized sports for children. Youth leagues should be a place to learn the game, practice good sportsmanship and have fun. Instead, you had coaches from the opposing team arguing calls with the umpire and screaming that this boy was taking his foot off the mound when pitching.
Needless to say, it was a traumatic experience for a young kid learning the game. There is so much to be gained by playing sports, but certainly nothing is gained in this type of environment.
BETTY SCHIAFFINO

No comments: